Yoooo!! It’s Adam from The Big Blue Mtn. Thought this would be a great time to finally do a backpacking gear dump 2020 and show ya’ll what I’ve been lugging around on my hikes. So I’m not a thru-hiker so please don’t send the UL Police at me, although I do go as UL as I possibly can on most items, simply because I love my luxury items and keeping most items light affords me the possibility of bringing on a couple of extras here and there. Also, it’s not like I’m hiking for days or anything, most of my hikes are maybe a day or two, if not just a single day hike. So my strategy is generally to attempt a longer hike that will take a day or two, 10-15 miles per day, and sometimes I have bailout points and other times I don’t. So for that reason, I always pack like I’m going to be camping and for general survival in case I get hurt or eaten by a large rabbit or something. I’m also carrying some video equipment, so that slows me down a bit, but that’s cool with me as filming is a passion of mine and there’s nothing more fun than shooting a hiking trip!!
OK so let’s do this, this is going to be my current winter setup as it’s January here in Texas and we can typically expect temps in the lower 30’s so it’s fairly mild as far as winters go. I’m not going to get into details or review these items, just simply list them out. I’m also not going to cover clothes, food, or electronics, or random smaller items for now. So here’s what’s in my pack as of Jan 2020. Weighing in at 15.8 pounds before clothes, food, electronics, and water.
Backpacking Gear 2020
– REI Flash 55 Backpack https://bit.ly/2tAHTZP
– REI Magma 15 Sleeping Bag https://bit.ly/2FnlOAP
– NEMO Hornet 2P Tent https://amzn.to/2MXpTQo
– THERM-A-REST NeoAir Xlite Ultralight Backpacking Air Mattress https://amzn.to/39Foo2Z
– THE BIG BUE MTN Lazy Bear Synthetic Puffy Down Camping Blanket https://amzn.to/37Bf2U4
– THE BIG BLUE MTN Lazy Bear Camping Pillow https://amzn.to/36trKnH
– REI Flexlight Chair https://bit.ly/2rVZ5bR
– JETBOIL ZIP Camping Stove https://amzn.to/2Fpn0Ua
– URSACK Bear Bag for Food Storage https://amzn.to/2MWbUdq
– HYDROBLU VERSA FLOW Water Filter and Dirty Bags https://amzn.to/2QPguLW
– OUTDOOR PRODUCTS Backpack Rain Cover https://amzn.to/39JkBSc
– Tent Footprint ( couldn’t find the brand I own, but this one from REDCAMP looks similar ) https://amzn.to/2SUDxaP
– ENERGIZER Headlamp https://amzn.to/2SUPPjm
– SEA TO SUMMIT Trowel https://amzn.to/2MZeDD5
– COLEMAN Toilet Paper https://amzn.to/2QKOnNQ
– BLACK DIAMOND Trekking Poles https://amzn.to/2ZRXYGK
Please let me know if you have questions about any of this gear or would like further information. What am I missing here? Is there something better out there I should consider?
See you on the trail folks!
* All of the gear listed above I paid for with my own money. Nothing was given to me or sponsored in any way. All of the links to Amazon do support us in a small way through Amazon Affiliates and The Big Blue Mtn gear is ours, so if you’re on the market for a blanket or pillow, please consider our brand. Thanks!!